George Zimmerman is back in the news as he is suing the family of the young man he shot. I don’t know the details, nor do I want to know, the whole affair is sad.
It is possible to take a middle position in on the Zimmerman affair:
- George Zimmerman had every right to carry a firearm.
- He had every right to ask a young guy that he didn’t recognize to what he was doing wandering around the neighorhood.
- He had every right to use lethal force to protect himself when attacked.
- He was also an idiot who never, ever should have gotten out of his vehicle to pursue the young man. Nothing good could have come from that.
For his part, Trayvon Martin:
- Had every right to be wandering around the neighborhood where his parents lived.
- Had every right to move away from a guy following him around.
- Was an idiot for attacking the guy.
Had Zimmerman at some point said “Hey kid, what is your name,” or Martin said “Hey, why are you following me?”, we never would have heard of these men.
The press bent over backwards to turn this into a hate-crime because a black man was president and they had to make every little thing about race. That should have failed when they discovered Zimmerman was hispanic and a Democrat, but they tried to make it a symbol anyway.
Really it is a story about dumb guys doing dumb things.